Thursday 16 September 2010

Pinhole Camera

I brought in a Pringles tube and decided this was what I used as my pinhole camera.
To start with, I marked a square near the centre of the tube, which I then cut out using a pen knife.

After this I painted the inside of the tube with black matt poster paint in order to stop any light reflecting through.
While I waited for the paint to dry I flattened out some tin foil using the straight side of a pair of scissors. The tin foil was used as a lens.
I then poked a pin through the tin foil lens which was the aperture

Next I went to the toilets with Stacey and Ryan and placed my Pringles tube under the hand dryer in order for the paint to dry.
Once the paint was dry, I stuck my lens on the outside of my tube covering the hole I cut, using some gaffer tape.
I then got some black paper and placed it over the top of my Pringles tube, this would be used as the lid, the black paper was held in place by an elastic band.


I then added a flap and put it over my lens, this was the shutter on my camera, the shutter is a mechanism that allows light to pass for a determined amount of time. The shutter was stuck to one side of the Pringles tube, this then flapped over so it covered the whole lens and kept the light out.


Then I measured the f-stop which was measured using the distance from the pinhole to paper in millimetres dived by the diameter of the pinhole in millimetres, a Pringles tube has an f-stop of f-90, this shows that when capturing a picture inside you leave it in a position for 8 minutes and when capturing an image outside you leave it for approximately 75 seconds.

Shortly after we went into the dark room and listened to Tim telling us all the important health and safety rules about the dark room, and how long we had to leave our images in the chemicals.

Next I had to put some photographic paper into my Pringles tube with the shiny side facing the lens. 

Once the photographic paper was in my Pringles tube I had to cover the top with gaffer tape to insure no light was let into my Pringle’s tube in anyway possible.

After this I then went downstairs with Stacey to the Atrium placed my tube in a chair and left it there for 8 minutes, and this captured an image.

After 8 minutes I went back upstairs and into the darkroom and put my image into chemicals, this developed my images into a negative image.

The next thing I done was put my images into a dryer which dried my images.
Next I went into the dark room and repeated my actions in putting some photographic paper into my Pinhole camera

I then went outside and decided to capture a car as my outside image, I left my pinhole camera focusing on the car for 1 minute and 15 seconds
Next I went back upstairs and into the dark room and repeated the process of putting the image into the chemicals.

When the image came out of the chemicals it was black and there was no image on the paper, the reason for this is because I left my camera outside in the light for too long, so I had to go back into the dark room and get some more photographic paper and then go and capture another outside image, the image I chose was a tree and some parked cars, I stayed outside for a shorter amount of time of 75 seconds.

After 75 seconds I went into the dark room and put my image into the chemicals, this developed my image into a negative image.
I then placed my image into the dryer and this dried my image.

The purpose
The purpose of the task was to see how a pinhole camera works.Pinhole camera’s give us close up’s of pictures are made only using light, it also gives an understanding of how different cameras work.


Evaluation
I went on www.pinholeformat.com/gallery and looked at Peter Donahoe’s pictures; Peter Donahoe focuses his work on unique materials such as fieldstone, rusted metal and shingle roofing. If i was to do the task again i would change the Pringles tube i used to a box, or a container with a wider surface, this is because the container would then be left outside for longer and maybe it would capture a better image with better quality, it would outline more things  and make the image I tried to capture more recognizable.

From Pinhole to Digital Camera
Pinhole cameras were known as far back as the 4th century BC.

A pinhole camera is a straightforward camera without a lens, that are normally handmade it has a solo little aperture. It’s a light proof container with a small hole in one side, the size of a pin hole, the light passes through the single point and projects an inverted picture on the opposite side of the container. A pinhole camera’s shutter is operated manually this is because the exposure time is only specific, the shutter consists of a flap which is made of a light proof material which covers and uncovers the pinhole.

Nearly all 21st century cameras are digital.

A digital camera is a camera that captures still photos or a video digitally by recording images through an electrical image sensor.
Most still digital camera’s can record sounds, moving videos and still images.
Digital cameras can do things that original cameras can’t, for example the can display the image on the screen as soon as the photo has been taken, they store thousands of images and videos on a small memory card, you can record videos with sounds and you can delete any unwanted images and videos which will free some storage space, some cameras can edit and crop pictures and well as transform them.
The lens on a digital camera has a variable diaphragm which focuses light onto an image pickup mechanism. The shutter on a digital camera disclose the correct amount of light to the imager, like a filmed camera the pickup tool is electronic rather than chemical.



No comments:

Post a Comment